If you are searching for a coastal retreat and family holiday destination in Mozambique, then Machangulo Beach Lodge is for you. The pristine sands, dune forest and secluded bay provide the perfect setting for holiday memories.
Machangulo Beach lodge is situated on Machangulo Peninsula in Maputo Bay, overlooking Inhaca Island and adjacent to Portuguese Island. Set above the beach in a dune forest, the lodge has tidal estuaries and lakes on its western side, the Indian Ocean on the eastern side and the Maputo Elephant Reserve in the south.
Directions to Machangulo Beach Lodge, Maputo Province, Southern Mozambique
You can fly to Maputo International Airport, and then transfer by boat (1 hour) to the lodge. If you are flying from Maputo to Inhaca Island, then a boat transfer can be arranged to the lodge form the island.
For guests driving from Johannesburg or elsewhere in Mozambique, you can drive to the Maputo Marina, from which a boat transfer (1 hour) will take you to Machangulo beach Lodge. Please note there is only 1 boat departure to the lodge per day so please check with your Siyabona Destination Specialist for departure time.
For drivers with a 4x4 vehicle, it is possible to travel through the beautiful Maputo Elephant Reserve all the way to Santa Maria and then take a quick boat transfer to the lodge, as there are no actual roads that lead directly to the lodge.
From Johannesburg to the Maputo Marina
- Take the N12 East (N4 if you’re in Pretoria)
- Head toward Witbank, where the 2 highways will converge (now called the N4)
- Note - The N4 is a Toll Road
- Continue East on the N4 through Nelspruit all the way to the Komatipoort / Lebombo border post Remember to have your passports and car papers ready (recent registration if it’s your own vehicle or permission letter from rental company)
- Once you are through the 2 posts continue on the highway, now called the EN4, all the way into Maputo
- As you enter Maputo (first suburb is called Matola) continue straight in with the EN4 until you reach the EN2 at a major traffic light
- Turn left and continue into Maputo through the Toll Gate until you reach a big traffic circle, turn right (you entered at direction 6 o’clock, exit at direction 3 o’clock)
- Follow the main(Avenida 25 de Setenbro) road all the way through the city until you pass the KFC on you left, just pass the circle, which you go straight over, turn right into Maputo Marina(Blue and white buildings)
- Friendly Machangulo Beach Lodge staff will assist you and your luggage onto the boat and your journey through Maputo Bay should take around 1 hour