- Birding highlights include
- Seasonal pelagic migrants (about 200 species) arrive in November in this Mozambique area (7 of them are red-listed)
- All ages / Eco-traveller / Adventure camper
- Dhow sailing, kayaking, snorkelling
- Start / End
- Pemba (no international airfares included)
8 day Ibo Island and Quirimbas Birding Package (seasonal)
The beautiful island group of the Quirimbas Archipelago is a birding haven that has yet to be truly discovered. The itinerary is based on flights into and out of Pemba, with journeys into mainland Quirimbas National Park and to mystical Ibo Island.
The historical Ibo Island in Mozambique is a unique and beautiful location surrounded by the Indian Ocean, coral reefs, an array of incredible islands, coastal inter-tidal zones and nearby mangrove forests.
Bird species that can be seen include: Brown Breasted Barbet, Mangrove Kingfisher, Madagascar Bee-eater, Terek Sandpiper, Brown-headed Parrot, Senegal Lapwing, Eurasian Oystercatcher, Grey Plover, Crab Plover, Bat Hawk, Eleonora’s Falcon, Dimorphic Egret and the Western Reef Heron.
Day 1: Pemba
Transfer to Pemba Dive and Bush Camp
Pemba, previously known as Porto Amelia and one of the oldest holiday destinations in Mozambique, is the lively capital of Cabo Delgado Province. Located on the south shore the city lies along the third largest bay in the world. Enjoy an afternoon guided walk on the fringe of Pemba Bay.
Pemba Dive & Bush Camp Accommodation
You will be staying in comfortable beachfront chalets which are large private open plan units in a traditional rustic design. Breakfast is included.
Day 2 & 3: Road Transfer
A road transfer is provided for the journey from Pemba through the national park onward to the Lake which is situated near Mahati. There are morning and afternoon guided walks available. The rest of your stay is at leisure to view birds that congregate around the lake.
Lake Kagavero Accommodation
Day 4: By Boat to Ibo Island
Ibo Island Lodge is the perfect place to explore the Quirimbas Archipelago National Park in Northern Mozambique. The magic of Ibo Island is overwhelming. Steeped in history, rich in culture and nominated as a potential World Heritage Site, the island dates back to the early 1600’s, making it one of the most ancient settlements in Mozambique. Late afternoon guided walk on the intertidal flats.
Accommodation at Ibo Island Lodge
The lodge has spectacular views over the waterfront and accommodates guests in beautifully simple yet elegant rooms. Historic colonial mansions with high ceilings. Relax in king size extra length hand crafted indigenous teak beds.
Day 5 & 6: Explore Ibo Island
Ibo Island Lodge has simply spectacular views of the inter-tidal flats. There are early morning and afternoon walks everyday to explore the coastal scrub and mangrove forests in the surroundings.
Sea going excursions will be arranged to the Ulumbwa Estuary. You can enjoy fantastic sightings of around 200 Crab Plover amongst numerous other bird species and explore the inter-tidal flats, surrounding estuary and mainland bush.
Day 7: Ocean Excursion
Today you enjoy a sea-based excursion and boat trip to Matemo and Manuel Da Silva Islands. Located just north of Ibo, these islands offer exciting birding options and diversity. There will be walks on both islands.
Find out about the Quirimbas Archipelago
Day 8: Return to Pemba
Light aircraft transfer
Your magical Birding Vacation in Mozambique draws to a close. You depart from Ibo Island in a light aircraft bound for Pemba in time for your outgoing flight.
Scheduled Departure Dates for 2011 and 2012
- 13 – 20 November 2011
- 04 – 11 December 2011
- 22 – 29 January 2012
Other dates available on request.
This is a flexible itinerary that is dependent on prevailing weather conditions, birding opportunities and other factors which are subject to change.
- 1 night accommodation at Pemba Dive and Bush Camp
- Road transfer from Pemba through the Quirimbas National Park, Mozambique
- 2 night rustic camping at Lake Kagavero
- 4 nights accommodation at Ibo Island Lodge
- Ibo Island: All meals (drinks excluded)
- Ibo Island: Transfer daily to a private sandbank beach
- Ibo Island: Guided historical and cultural tours of the island
- Day trip to Durumba Estuary, Manuel Da Silver and Matemo Island
- Air transfer from Ibo Island to Pemba
- All international airfares and related taxes/fees
- All meals that are not specified
- All drinks, personal bar account, bottled water, etc.
- Mozambique arrival/departure/airport/hotel/government taxes
- Sanctuary / National Park fees
- Items of a personal nature such as telephone calls, curio purchases, etc.
- Optional activities/excursions not specified
- Visas, travel and medical insurance